I was thinking about the film Moon today. Now, I haven't seen it since it was in theatres so my memory may be a bit hazy but hey, I'm still thinking about the film and that says something (about impressions, after-thought, echo-ideas, reverberatums and other words I just now made up).
I LOVE the model work, the sets, the lighting and the score, ellipses...however...
1. Having Sam be a clone (SPOILER ALERT!) seems to only introduce multiple failure points to the moon mining operation.
A: Each clone's stasis chamber must be maintained and any that fail is one less period of mining activity.
B: Reviving a clone is subject to failure.
C: Storing a limited number of clones means a limited period of operation before the moon's all mined up (out?) or more clones need to be made and shipped up there.
D: Disease
E: Injury (wait...what?)
F: Life Support Systems (how much food is up there?)
G: Having the clone return to Earth to snitch on the corporation. (wait...what?)
2. If the computer is so smart as to understand emotions in humans, offer help that is technically against his programming (the password to reveal the ruse) why the heck can't the computer just run the place? Rather than have multiple clones (Silly Rabbit, it's turtles all the way down, ya know) have a back up robot/computer or three.
3. If the computer ran the place there would be no need for a ruse (and additional point of failure).
4. With a robot running the automation there would be no need for FOOD, AIR, WATER, UNEXPLAINED GRAVITY GENERATORS (yes I saw the sign on the wall), LIGHTS, WARMTH & COOLING (to a human needs anyway), VEHICLES, TOILETS, WATER PURIFIERS, JAMMING TOWERS, BODY DISPOSAL, POWER TO RUN ALL THAT CRAP HUMANS NEED...see where I'm going here?
Having a human up there begets all this secondary support equipment and supplies and that adds cost and cheaper is better folks. Life is cheap, to be sure, but it's expensive to maintain.
5. If the robot ran the place and something did break that was beyond it's ability to repair, the humans to pick up Sam got there in what 14 hrs or something? So obviously the "rescue" crew would be able to hop up to the moon and fix whatever it was then leave and pass the savings onto you, the customer.
6. Heck why not run the thing remotely from Earth since it takes what, something like ≈1.27 seconds at 380,000km to send a radio signal there? (s=d/t. Betcha thought I forgot didn't ya Mr. Gordon!)
7. How does Sam have memories of his previous selves? Maybe I missed that but it's one of two things:
A: Somehow memories are genetic and incorporated into DNA. (Hint: No.)
B: Somehow the Corporation can "clone" memories as well and maybe inject them into people/clones.
If technology B is available there's a BUNCH more money and take-over-and-rule-everything-in-sight potential than mining some H3 from the Moon. Auxiliary uses of technologies in stories should be a requirement for High School graduation (or an entire study course in writing) because it's something filmmakers rarely think about…like Basic Physics. Baysic Physics...Michael Baysick Physics...Michael Bay[sic] Physics...(WWMBD?)
Did I mention that the Mining Corporation also has GRAVITY GENERATORS?
Yeah, so anyway, thinking about the film afterwards it started to bug me. There's Suspension of Disbelief and then there's Stasis of Disbelief.
No comments:
Post a Comment